Wednesday 20 April 2016

Jezebel


I was finishing a story late the other night for the next Sideburn (it's never-ending...) and the name Jezebel came up. Great song, I thought, and immediately stopped working and went onto YouTube (I now have the concentration of a butterfly).

The superb rendition above came up, the original of this much covered tune. During the 1950s performance Frankie Laine really emotes and the dancers have curves for days.

I first heard this song played by The Mummies, one of my all-time favourite bands. I've travelled 1000s of miles to see them, in the UK and Europe, and even interviewed them for the long-gone Bizarre magazine. I know people will watch ten seconds of this video and decide they wouldn't walk to the bottom of their garden to watch The Mummies, but musical taste is funny like that.

They were the most memorable live band I've ever seen (If you were wondering, off the top of my head: 1. The Mummies 2. King Khan and The Shrines 3. Rocket From the Crypt 4. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 5. Man or Astroman? 6. The Headcoats  7. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion 8. Pussy Galore 9. NOFX 10. The Pogues).

Anyway, hopefully you'll enjoy one or both these clips, or maybe neither. Either way, another post will be along soon and is likely to be about motorcycles or the people who ride them. G

.

6 comments:

capnsimo said...

I like the mummies and I loved Punk when I was Punk....
and now I love Frankie Lane and his groovy little hand shuffle at the end of the show...
what does that say I ask myself....

Jennifer said...

Great share, love reading your blog. Thanks for the post!

dave said...

the mummies are fookin' great!

Garrett302 said...

Fantastic!!!! Love that song.

rowdyyates said...

This lot do a decent version too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Zh0FlnyFk

Unknown said...

@caprisimo, it means youve've sold out, you square!