Friday 22 January 2016

The Citizen Kane of Flat Track Movies


I'd never heard of Ride With The Wind until I saw this trailer over at Church of Choppers.
It brought a tear to my eye and reminded me a little of my favourite ever film, Mask (with Cher not Jim Carrey, silly).

In this clip there is what looks very much like actual footage of an actual GNC crash spliced into the drama. I sent an email to a group of older fans and industry people in the US asking 'Does anyone remember the crash or who was involved? It's not very clear, but could it be Chris Carr (20) and Parker (1). Early-90s, I think, it predates my following of the sport.'

The ever helpful Roger F (a regular correspondent and a great character, click his label below this post) came back very quickly...

'That's a late season crash involving the chase for the #1 plate between Chris Carr #20 and Scott Parker, and the resulting leg  injuries (knee?) ended up costing Parker the championship in 1992. I can't remember the exact race, but it was a west coast half-mile late in the season. Carr was running either up front or close to it, and Parker was back a few spots. Late in the race, Chris Carr slid out coming out of turn 2, but managed to keep his XR running. In his haste get going again, he lit up the rear wheel and the bike kicked sideways....right into Scott Parker's line, catapulting him off. An unfortunate racing accident pure and simple, but it all but awarded #1 to Chris Carr, his first of many... Roger"

4 comments:

Garrett302 said...

Whoa!

747 said...

This movie developed me into the derelict, tator eating, old ford driving flattracker I now am. Long live the Eagle!!!

..... said...

It was the Oklahoma City 1/2 Mile

Travis said...

A friend of mine said Geo Roeder did teh stunt riding for this movie