Monday 17 August 2009

Nerd alert


Back before the internet and dedicated sports radio channels I used to watch football (or soccerball to our US readers) on Teletext. If you're not British you won't know what the hell I mean. But I mention it because I've now found the modern day flat track equivalent: The AMA's live timing. Basically you're watching the race bikes' transponder feeds. I was 'watching' this weekend's Grove City GNC round when I should've been catching up on much-needed sleep. But it seemed to be all weird. Smokin Joe Kopp was 15, 20, 30 seconds in the lead, and lapping riders on the mile. It looked like he lapped Chris Carr, so I thought the computer timing gubbins had a glitch.
Then I read the news. He did lap everyone up to and including eighth in the GNC main on a mile track! Wow. GI
PS 18 finalists, 16 XRs, 1 Aprilia, 1 Suzuki.

4 comments:

t said...

You got it bad my friend.. the cure? Race as much as possible, stir, repeat. Someday you may just kick it.. but the prognosis is not looking good. Have a lot of fluids ready.. mainly gasoline and oil.. your gonna need them.

God speed..

#39 said...

Not to get all nerdy, but isn't that a 1/2 mile track? I'm too lazy to check the facts.

Sideburn Magazine said...

39, It's called the Grove City Mile and they're doing 42s laps, so I'm pretty sure it's a Mile, but I've never been. I just watch the transponder feeds. G

#39 said...

My mistake! I thought that Indy, DuQuoin and Springfield were the only miles on the schedule. Thanks for the nerdity.
You have to see a mile race. Put it on your bucket list.