Saturday 21 May 2011

Jim's BSA Desert Racer

Jim's dad styling!
Nice Land Rover Defender.
Here are those photos of the desert racer. I think all I am going to change is the rear tyre to something a little more aggressive.
I heard about your mag from the guys at Red Max racing. I found them whilst lookin for some bits for a B44 VS desert racer I was making. It all started after seeing Dave Aldana's BSA in the national motorcycle museum when I was about 15, I'm 25 now.
It started out life as a scrambler, but after a couple of seasons racing i couldnt commit the time or the money into keeping up! After a bit of digging around i found out that the bike was originally imported from California. After that there was only one option!
The idea was to convert the bike with whatever we had kicking around, hence the bantam tank, and the enfield forks (which was perfect as Hitchcocks did me a brand new twin leading shoe front wheel for £110!). I just made it to cruise around look cool basically. The only changes i have made since completing the bike was a new number board.
Oh yea, the guy jumping it is my Dad. I hadn't rode the bike after I finished it because i had to go away to Belgium for work. And while i was there I got that photo from my dad with a message saying he had to "test" it. I was really peed-off considering I hadn't even rode it and he had got airbourne already!
Enjoy the pics.
Jim, Devon, UK

4 comments:

23bricks said...

that is a lovely bike

red marley next year for you

Dr-Ogo said...

Your Dad must of pissed you off with that little test potter, but how bloody cool is your dad!
Great bike.

Nick said...

Just bought one myself and waiting for delivery, another US import CZ front end, should be fun trail riding in West Somerset. Well done to your Dad, yes you must be pissed of but, Cool Dude

Chester Belter said...

My story ain't as cool as yours..... 19 and I had an old MG and was amazed by it's great mpg. Years later pops confessed that he used to take it out for regular spins when I was at work and top up the fuel but the guilt must have made him over fill. Winners all round.