Thursday 19 September 2013

Two Years Ago...

Just over two years ago, I returned from a 16-day trip riding through South Africa, Namibia and into Zambia with a group led by Charley Boorman and Motoaventures. I follow him instagram (we are @sideburnmag by the way) and he's just done the trip again. Seeing his insta posts reminded me to dig out these photos, under the perhaps ill-found assumption you might be interested.
The first day's riding around the Cape was incredible.
The back of Table Mountain (not Sugar Loaf Mountain, you dumbass Inman! See comments).
Selfie. I wrote that bike off the next day.
Charley B, wearing the Sideburn x Deus Ex Machina shirt Deus made a couple of years ago.
Near the Fish River Canyon, Namibia.
If this looks like fun, and you've got a wedge of cash for a trip of a lifetime, check out Motoaventures Tours. G

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics!!! but Sugar Loaf Mountain is in Brazil, you we're riding past the Twelve Apostles with the back of Table Mountain in the background.

The first pic, you'er looking at the Sentinel, just in front of it is Dungeons, a very sharky big wave surfing spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KfeN1kqPI


Elton A.R. Alwine said...

I am seriously interested! I just finished Long Way Round/Down this week, as I cannot get enough...

Gary, was this adventure open to the public to join, or just bike journos and friends?

Elton A.R. Alwine said...

Scratch that - I actually took time to look at Moto Aventures site and got all the info I needed :)

Spectacular tours.

JamesJ said...

What a landscape but I remember the state of that helmet. Keep your eyes on the road!

Sideburn Magazine said...

Hey View Askew, thanks for the correction. I had brain fade. I love the description ; A very sharky big wave spot'.
G
PS James J. The helmet is hung up in my garage as a reminder to concentrate and not be a dick.

Anonymous said...

Gotta beware of not only the sharks in the ocean but the sharks on the road, lot's of crazy "overtake on a rise and blind-turn" drivers in SA

Unknown said...

There is also a sugar loaf nr abergavenny in wales, although it would be difficult to confuse it with the Brazilian one!!.

Unknown said...

Nice to see the pictures again Gary. Certainly for me it was the trip of a lifetime.

Pete Gray

Sideburn Magazine said...

Hi Pete. I emailed you a while ago because we had a do in Sheffield. Anyway, you're in one of these photos, I think. G

Hairy Larry said...

Time flies, that was 2 years ago? Does look like it would be a fun adventure. There is also a 'Sugarloaf' mountain in southern California that is a popular mountaineering area.

OILY RAG said...

There is also a sugar loaf hill in Paignton but its crap. But there is a very attractive speed camera there.

motoguru. said...

I just finished watching Long Way Round and Down again and I doing something like this is all I can think about.

motoguru. said...

I just finished watching Long Way Round and Down again and I doing something like this is all I can think about.