Monday 8 February 2010

Kopp on the Duke


Former Grand National Champion, and one of the handful of current riders to have won the grand slam of nationals, Smokin Joe Kopp, will ride the Lloyd Brothers Motorsport Ducati (that features in Sideburn 4). What a turn-up this is. Larry Pegram raced last year, and he made the main, but couldn't commit to a season because he's concentrating on AMA Superbike. Pegram plans to race Indy and Springfield while Kopp says

'Equipment wise, I have the best of both worlds. I will be riding Ducatis on all the mile tracks and will be able to choose between the Ducati and my XR750 on the half-mile tracks depending on how testing goes. I really think that we are going to surprise a lot of people this year with the Ducati. This is exactly the type of challenge that I feel I needed and I am really looking forward to proving that we can win on this bike right out of the box. I think with my feedback and experience and my crew's knowledge that we can further development of this bike very quickly and have fun doing it.'

The team also got a big boost in the form of Agip sponsorship.
Let's hope the Ducati riders turn out to support them. G
Photo: Tim White for Sideburn

6 comments:

Paul said...

Great news for the Doooocadi!

#39 said...

That's huge! Lloyd Bros. deserve a good break. I'd love to see them put the XRs on the trailer.

Tim White said...

Cool news. Plus, with Bryan Smith on the Werner/Springsteen Kawasaki 650 full-time and the expanded calendar, and the return of the combined Grand National Championship, I'm hoping AMA flat track is moving onward and upward in '10.

OUTTACONTROLLA said...

What Kwack 650 are they running ? Surley not a W650 !
;-)
That would be a bit of fun tho.....

Sideburn Magazine said...

It's based on an ER-6. They've been running it a while. G

Anonymous said...

I heard that Bill Werner was inspired by Simon R's exploits on the ER6

Dogger Stu