Friday 3 October 2008

Red Wing 877




As made famous by Mert Lawwill (among others) in On Any Sunday, the '877' model Red Wing boot is the Daddy of tracker footwear.
I was boring my wife with their complete history as I was trying to set up a business deal between their Euro dealer & SIDEBURN;
& buy a pair for myself. The next day she returned from work claiming that "every other girl in the canteen is wearing them."
Bizarrely enough they seem to have been force fed down the fashion gullet as of late - as a replacement for the ugly UGGS?
I always thought the 877 a bit too dorky moose hunter, but my Brogue boots needed a break from all their multi purpose abuse,
So I started Googling. More bizarrely, they were available in some trendy Amsterdam boutique around the corner from my house; & in my U.S. size 12 no less.
Uncomfortable ain't the word for them. Torture! I know they're tough guy work boots, but man, I contemplated Achilles heel
corrective surgery they were that stiff. now after a month of Lotus foot self abuse they fit like old slippers & I even wear them
in bed when its cold.
BP
Any Red Wing distributors/stockists out there interested in advertising in SB please contact:
dirt@sideburnmagazine.com

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been wearing them years, beauty they are, hope the fashion victims get board soon enough, twats.

Sideburn Magazine said...

Fortunately the fashionista are too busy to be doing up laces & only seem to have adopted the Red Wing 2971 Engineer's slip-on welly boots. Don't worry the 877 is safe for now.
BP

Sideburn Magazine said...

Hey Ben, I've got some Red Wing slip-on Engineers...
What does that make me?
GI

Diedre Greenshields said...

You guys are a bunch of fashion queens I knew it!

Sideburn Magazine said...

'More fashionable that I thought I guess!'
BP

Anonymous said...

Man..this website is dragging me to the pc over and over, good job!
Living in the centre of Amsterdam myself I wonder where you found those 877's..
Iwan

Sideburn Magazine said...

- from a shop called 'Spoiled' in the 9 kleine straatjes (I always get lost there so I cant remember which one exactly).
They were quite expensive, so you might want to try getting them direct from the States; what with the weak Dollar
even with postage you should strike a better deal. BUT check you dont get stung with customs tax.
BP

Anonymous said...

Cool, I know that one..
Reading on and on here I figured we even met before, linking you with the (probably only one in or around Amsterdam)CCM.
At the time I had a KTM625 in de (skate)shop.
Small-ish world sometimes.
I

Sideburn Magazine said...

Wow Iwan! that was a very long time ago. Yes RDLFS. & you had one of the
only (other) Supermotards I saw about town.
I had just bought some Dave Aldana skeleton gloves - real-deal Vansons,
from De Leertent next door.
Did you know there is SM, Speedway & some Flat tracking going on in
Lelystad next to the aviodrome? Go check it out.
see also www.dutch-brothers.com
BP

Anonymous said...

I know, its been awhile..went to the supersportside for a brief while but now back with a Husky.
Will check that Lelystad thing out for sure, heard a lot of good stuff about it.
How long does it usually take for Gary to claim the PayPal money..sent some for 2 issues..
Still sproting that CCM?

dale said...

your first photo may be of a Red Wing boot but its definitely not an 877. I've got 6 pairs of vintage 877's and the way the upper is stitched to the lower part of the boot in your photo is very different from an 877.

Anonymous said...

The first ones are not Red Wings but Thorogoods

http://www.midwestboots.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TH814-4201&Category_Code=Mens-Thorogood-Boots