Monday 24 November 2008

Relics: Craig at Perris



Guys,

I am attaching a couple of old photos, both are circa late 74, early 75. The btm photo is going into the hairpin at my hometown (Kingman, AZ) TT track (48, old school Honda gear). In all the old TT Photos I am on my Elsinore 125 (with Champion style tank) Disregard the top photo on the one that is from Speedworld MX in AZ as that is just attached to the scan and it is from about 2000 on my YZF400.

Couple of notes, My home track in Kingman AZ, was big and fast and freaking wonderful when it was good, you can see how smooth & wide. It could get bad at times but when it was good, man it was good. Lap times were about 1 minute 40 seconds so that gives you an idea of just how big.

Perris was also a big fast track, but it had elevation changes and smooth as silk. Note, the Perris MX track is built on the same spot, you'll see the rocks surrounding the track have painted stuff, look at modern photos of Perris and you can still see some of the old painted rocks. There are some newer ones, but quite a few date back 40-50 years!, you can still see the "OCMC" (Orange County Motorcycle Club) in modern photos from the MX track.

Outside of Kingman when it was good, Perris was my all time favorite track, I am including my entire dirt-track career, as well as my Road racing (well maybe the old Laguna, that was pretty fun as well as fast) . I am a dirt-track guy first and foremost, but TT is my alltime favorite. My ultimate track would be big, have elevation changes and be fast, fast, fast,
and have some really nice, (but safe) table tops jumps.

Later Craig

PS My dad found an old roll of film and had it developed, I lost most of my old flat-track photos for my coming up years.

No comments: