Sunday 10 October 2010

Mopeds of the Medina

When I'm a billionaire and I've already got my Amsterdam pizza delivery boy MotoGP up and running, the next project will be another life threatening street race but set in amongst the tiny Souks of Marrakesh. The max speed obtainable on such puny step-through machines wont render it as terrifying as Macau, but then again Macau isn't awash with donkey piss, toothless beggars, carpet salesmen trying to abduct your wife, and dumb tourists stumbling about.
I've just got back from a week's family holiday. We stayed in a cheapo riad with air-con that actually heated our room up above the ambient street temp. Icecream couscous became our staple diet. But it's an amazing place. I had hoped to sneak off for a couple of days KTM'ing with Wilderness Wheels, but my back was still out, so I had to make do with a one day taxi trip into the spectacular Atlas mountains and daily gorking at mopeds.
BP

7 comments:

Mick P said...

Nice lines on that Yamaha scoot sitting above the pudding and below your photogenic nippers. Or have I been riding an SH1T for too long?

Tom said...

I was in Marrakesh in 1990 and was amazed at how many scooters there were, but I had a DT125R and was king of the traffic light GP on the Avenue Mohamed V. The cloud of two stroke in my mirrors was immense!

BLip said...

Mick my first bike was a Honda C90 so the plastic leg-shield has a place in my heart forever, but all those in Marrakesh seemed to be badge engineered as Yamaha Mate.
BP

Anonymous said...

sounds better than a week in skeg!!.

Anders said...

What's that red moped w the black wheels? Looks pretty cool. I like all the old Peugeot 504's in Marocco. Wouldn't mind taking a 504Familiale home with me.

Sideburn Magazine said...

Anders
it's a Bicimotor LEM Motor.
Fuel in-frame & cog drive on the rear hub.
BP

Marco said...

I have been in Tunisia recently (150km to Libya side) and there were hundreds of these mobilette alike 50cc mopeds. And i mean hundreds ...