Tuesday 5 October 2010

R&G Shocktube


This looks like it might be a good idea for race bikes. I guess the only issue is grit finding its way in and chafing the spring. If you buy one try to let them know you found out about it on Sideburn's blog. Thanks G

'The Shocktube is an impact resistant, waterproof, vented tube made from 100% bonded Neoprene, double lined with stretch nylon on both sides.
Aimed at riders of all disciplines – road, track and off-road - the R&G Shocktube works by completely enclosing the rear shock absorber and spring to prevent damage from road salt, water spray, stone chipping, dust and dirt that can have a detrimental effect on the performance and looks of the unit over time.'

R&G website

4 comments:

Paul said...

Saw this being advertised the other week. Kinda hinkey. I love the look of a thick, coiled spring on a bike. Springs are beautiful. This cover detracts. Even if practical (I've never had a problem with damage on springs), I still think it would look like like you've got a roll of ski socks attached to the bike. Not my cuppa.

Anthony Brown said...

Damage to the spring is not really the issue. Its more to do with the seals.
If you have ever blown a seal you will know what I mean.
Frost on your moustache?
No not the type that live in the sea!!

Sorry its an old joke but I like it!

Sideburn Magazine said...

Yes, to make it clearer, I know it's mainly to protect the rod and seals, but that a side-effect might be any bits of damp grit finding their way in might then rub on the spring. On the whole I thought it was a good idea. But I race twin shock. G

Anthony Brown said...

I am with you Gary. I ahve used them on bikes in the sand and they have worked well