Tuesday 4 May 2010

Speed Kills magazine

I bought a bunch of magazines at the Stafford Show from our mate the Magazine Man. Dice, Greasy Kulture, 25th anniversary Scootering, Front End and Gearhead. I haven't bought Gearhead for ages, but it reminded me I had all the early ones, so I dug them out. And that reminded me of a magazine I can't find any details about, but I really loved: Speed Kills. Does anyone know what happened to the guy behind it? The magazine was really ahead of the hot rod punk crossover thing that's taken over the world. It dates from about 1990, 91 onwards. Pre-internet. The magazine you'd find in your local record shop and snap up. Speed Kills introduced me to Ed Roth, Von Dutch... I sent off for a T-shirt and everything. I've still got it. And it came with free 7in singles. It only ran for seven issues, I'm pretty sure. Truly inspirational. GI

6 comments:

Motorcycho said...

funny... I found an issue of speedkills the other day too... that mag was the best! along with one called Heinous! I still have the Drag Racing SOunds cassette I got from the SK guy!

Chris said...

Wow talk about ahead of it's time!

I'm loving the varied cover designs.

Anonymous said...

No but I do have a bunch of Horny Biker Sluts comics which should really be lost

Mick P said...

Great mags, G. And now someone's mentioned it, can't think where my Horny Biker Sluts mags have gone.

conartist said...

Pre internet and all that ... Speed Kills was IT ... Someone should definitely track that bloke down ... Moto Sniffin' Glue.

yourmumssofatwhenshefelldownthestairsithoughteasdtendershadstarted said...

some great 7"s too, rftc and gaunt to name but two, possibly