Sunday 5 September 2010

Wendy House

With SB#6 out the door, my computer dead, my bike on blocks; but the sun out, I was forced into the garden. The Daddy kit shed I ordered months ago was finally delivered on a flatbed truck that blocked the whole street for 2 hours while it was off loaded, until it transpired it was the wrong one. So all reved up with my wife screaming 'How much bloody longer do your tools have to litter the kitchen!?' I set to on building a shed for the kids by chopping up the old and mostly rotten potting shed that lay demolished in the rhubarb forest.
After a week of annoying the neighbours with dawn till dusk noise and dust, it dawned to all present that I was being as obsessive-compulsive building a Wendy house (albeit in the style of a Japanese tea house) as I am producing Sideburn with Gary.
Multi-tasking is not an option to a Pitbulll that has it's fangs sunken into a postman's leg. Once my jaws close in on a project I just wont let it go until I've drained the life blood out of it. Maybe it's not entirely healthy character trait to have, but I go to bed a proud man (with my hair full of fibreglass resin and splinters burried deep in my fingers).
The roof is now so bomb-proof I reckon it could be up-turned and used as a boat. BP

11 comments:

Red Torpedo said...

Where, on God's green earth, does fibreglass com into the building of a wooden garden shed?

Sideburn Magazine said...

Dear RT
In God's green earth the roof should have been a bit of manky gritted tar felt, but it would have been difficult to get the Japanese pagodaesque folds & curves I wanted.
It did cross my run-away mind to cover it in copper or zinc sheet (I did a table once) but that would have been silly money & taken even longer. So I chose the material I HATE most on God's green earth - naturally.
BP

t said...

Damn Brother you weren't kidding when you went awol on that one. Nice Job.
Looks a little like one of the Minangkabau curved roof houses in Sumatra.

t said...

oh and by the way who's Wendy?

hein scheffer said...

a thing of beauty is a joy forever...
love the roof!

btw, when will #6 be in the american bookstore?
you know my experiences with the mail...

Nick said...

Hey, what's wrong with being an obsessive , especially when you create a masterpiece

Sideburn Magazine said...

t
'Wendy House' is with reference to Peter Pan - ask Michael Jackson all about that
- or Wikipedia

Hein
ABC Amsterdam should be stocked with SB#6 later today!
BP

Diplomate said...

I'm nowhere near as worried about you as i probably ought to be ........ thing is - where does this fit in the motorcycle world of things ? Are we looking a shed two or three steps removed from the woorkshop plan - ie you need to sort out Wendy before you can move the garden furniture, before you can move the mower, before you can move the kitchen in to the new shed and set up the workshop in what was the kitchen (as is right of course) ?

Anonymous said...

hey ben if you treat the ccm 2 a makeover using the same intense mental focus,
then i will be looking forward to seeing the results!!.

Unknown said...

You really give good shed!

Sideburn Magazine said...

this is merely an oversize maquette for the Grayson Perry style shrine I'm going to construct on the back of my CCM flat tracker, but I'm still not sure which teddy-god to worship.
BP